For a 90s party, wear a crop top, high-waisted jeans, oversized flannel, and platform sneakers. The 90s trend is all about grunge and a carefree attitude.
Keep reading to learn how to style your hair, makeup, and accessories to nail the 90s look. The 90s were a time of carefree grunge fashion and rebellious attitude. The decade brought with it classic styles such as crop tops, high-waisted jeans, oversized flannels, and platform sneakers that continue to influence current fashion trends.
So, if you’re looking to attend a 90s party and dress according to the theme, you will not be disappointed. Prepare to channel the spice girls or the backstreet boys as we guide you on how to rock the 90s-inspired fashion with ease. Read on to know what to wear, how to style your hair, makeup, and accessories.
Recalling The 90S
The ’90s fashion scene was all about making a statement. From grunge to the spice girls, the ’90s was an era of experimentation. The ’90s saw the introduction of trends that have made a comeback today. So, if you’re attending a ’90s party and wondering what to wear, we’ve got you covered.
A Nostalgic Look Back At Fashion Trends In The 90S
Let’s take a walk down memory lane and recall some of the iconic fashion trends of the ’90s:
- Grunge: This trend was all about channeling your inner rocker. Ripped jeans, flannel shirts, leather jackets, and combat boots were the go-to items for a grunge look.
- The spice girls: The spice girls were a household name in the ’90s, and their fashion sense was equally as iconic. Think crop tops, platform shoes, and colorful outfits.
- Denim: Denim was a staple in ’90s fashion. Denim jackets, overalls, and skirts were seen everywhere.
- Mini backpacks: Mini backpacks were a must-have accessory in the ’90s. They were small, stylish, and perfect for carrying your essentials.
- Windbreakers: Windbreakers were popular in the ’90s. They were lightweight, versatile, and came in various bright colors.
Key Elements Of 90S Fashion
Now that we’ve recalled some of the iconic fashion trends of the ’90s let’s break down the key elements of ’90s fashion:
- Bold and bright colors: The ’90s was all about loud and vibrant colors. Think neons, bright pinks, and mint greens.
- Oversized clothing: Baggy shirts, oversized jackets, and loose-fitting jeans were staples in the ’90s.
- Logo mania: Logos were everywhere in ’90s fashion. From fila to tommy hilfiger, it was cool to wear clothes with a brand name plastered all over it.
- Denim on denim: Double denim was trendy in the ’90s, and people were not shy about pairing a denim jacket with denim jeans.
- Chunky shoes: Platform shoes, combat boots, and sneakers with thick soles were all the rage in the ’90s.
How To Incorporate 90S Fashion Trends Into A Party Outfit
If you’re attending a ’90s party, here’s how you can incorporate some of the ’90s fashion trends into your outfit:
- Wear a pair of mom jeans with a crop top and a denim jacket.
- Pair an oversized band shirt with a plaid skirt, fishnet stockings, and platform sneakers.
- Mix and match bright colors and layer a neon green shirt over a hot pink tank top.
- Add a mini backpack to any outfit for an extra touch of ’90s style.
- Style a windbreaker with a pair of ripped jeans and chunky sneakers.
The ’90s was an era of bold and vibrant fashion trends. From grunge to the spice girls, there was no shortage of inspiration to pull from. Incorporating ’90s fashion trends into a party outfit is all about making a statement and expressing yourself.
So embrace the ’90s and have fun with it!
Dressing For The Occasion
Deciding On An Outfit Based On The Party Theme Or Venue
Attending a 90s party can be a fun and memorable experience, but dressing up for the occasion can be a bit tricky, especially if you’re not quite sure what to wear. Deciding on an outfit that suits the party theme or venue is key to making sure you look stylish and stand out in the crowd.
Here are some tips to consider before choosing your outfit:
- Look at the party invitation or dress code: Make sure to check the party invitation or ask the host about the dress code. Some parties may have specific themes, such as grunge, hip-hop, or preppy, which can help you determine what to wear.
- Consider the venue: If the party is being held at a club or bar, you may want to dress a bit more formal or trendy to fit in with the atmosphere. Alternatively, if it’s a house party, you might opt for a more relaxed, comfortable outfit.
- Think about your personal style: When deciding on an outfit, it’s essential to stay true to your personal style. Choose an outfit that you’re comfortable wearing and reflects your personality.
Outfit Ideas For Different 90S Party Themes (E.G. Grunge, Hip-Hop, Preppy)
There are several 90s party themes to choose from, and each has a unique style that can be achieved with the right outfit. Here are some outfit ideas for some popular 90s party themes:
- Oversized flannel shirts paired with ripped jeans or denim shorts.
- Dr. martens boots or chunky sneakers with a beanie or a bandana.
- Leather jackets, chokers, and black ankle boots are also great additions to a grunge outfit.
- Baggy jeans or cargo pants paired with a bright oversized hoodie or sweatshirt.
- Stylish sneakers, a snapback, and gold chains or necklaces.
- Don’t forget to accessorize with a bandana or a head wrap and some stylish sunglasses.
- Polo shirts in bright colors paired with a fitted skirt or shorts.
- Knee-high socks, mary jane shoes, and a cardigan or sweater vest.
- Accessorize with a headband or a preppy hair clip and a stylish tote bag.
Accessory Ideas To Complete The Look
When dressing up for a 90s party, accessories are key to completing the look. Here are some accessory ideas to consider:
- Statement jewelry: Chunky necklaces, layered bracelets, and oversized hoop earrings are all great for completing your outfit and adding some flair.
- Hair accessories: Scrunchies, butterfly clips, and headbands can help you achieve a perfect 90s hairstyle.
- Sunglasses: Round or rectangular-shaped sunglasses can make you look effortlessly cool and add some mystery to your look.
- Hats: Baseball hats, floppy hats, and bucket hats can add some flair to your outfit and help protect you from the sun.
Remember, when it comes to accessorizing, less is more. Choose one or two statement accessories to prevent your outfit from looking too cluttered.
Diy 90S Fashion
How To Make A 90S-Inspired Outfit From Items Already In Your Wardrobe
Ah, the 90s! It was the era of friends, boy bands, and grunge music, and it’s not hard to see why the fashion of this decade is making a comeback. If you’re planning on attending a 90s party, why not create your outfit with items you already own?
With a little creativity, you can turn your current wardrobe into a totally rad 90s-inspired ensemble. Here’s how:
- Bring out the denim: Denim is a staple of 90s fashion, so find a pair of high-waisted jeans or a jean skirt to start off your outfit.
- Neon colors: Remember those bright neon colors? Incorporate some brightly colored pieces into your outfit. For example, a neon-colored t-shirt or a pair of neon socks will give your outfit that much-needed pop of color.
- Layering: Layering was huge in the 90s, so don’t be afraid to mix and match different patterns, textures, and materials. Layer a t-shirt over a long-sleeved shirt or wear a denim jacket over a flannel shirt.
- Accessorize: Complete your outfit with 90s-inspired accessories like a choker necklace, headbands, or hoop earrings. Don’t forget to carry a backpack or a fanny pack to complete the look.
Diy Tips For Re-Creating 90S Fashion Trends (E.G. Tie-Dye, Denim, Patches)
If you’re feeling crafty, why not try re-creating some of the popular 90s fashion trends yourself? Here are some diy tips to get you started:
- Tie-dye: Tie-dye was everywhere in the 90s, and it’s still a popular trend today. Pick up a tie-dye kit from a craft store and create your own tie-dye t-shirt, shorts, or even a headband.
- Denim patches: Patches were all the rage in the 90s, and they’re making a comeback now. Grab some denim patches or cut up an old pair of jeans and sew them onto a denim jacket or shorts.
- Flannel shirts: Flannel shirts were a staple of 90s grunge fashion. Buy an inexpensive flannel shirt from a thrift store and customize it by cutting off the sleeves or adding some patches.
- Hair accessories: Remember those butterfly clips and scrunchies? They’re back! Make your own hair accessories by picking up some decorative beads or ribbon and attaching them to a clip or hairband.
With these tips, you’ll be sure to stand out at your next 90s party. So raid your closet and get crafting!
Where To Shop For 90S Fashion
What to wear to a 90s party: where to shop for 90s fashion
Are you attending a 90s party but don’t know what to wear? From grunge to hip hop, the 90s had a diverse range of fashion styles that are making a comeback. To make your shopping experience easier, here are some popular retail stores and online shops where you can find 90s fashion:
Overview Of Popular Retail Stores And Online Shops That Carry 90S Fashion
- Urban outfitters: This trendy store carries a wide variety of 90s-inspired clothing, including graphic tees, denim jackets, and plaid skirts.
- Depop: This app is perfect for those looking for unique pieces from small sellers. You can find everything from vintage tommy hilfiger to fubu.
- Asos marketplace: This online marketplace has a dedicated section for 90s fashion where you can find everything from platform sneakers to bucket hats.
- Thrift stores: Don’t overlook your local thrift stores! You never know what hidden gems you might find at a fraction of the cost of retail stores.
Tips For Finding Affordable Vintage Or Thrifted 90S Clothing
- Start by looking for timeless 90s pieces that won’t go out of style, such as denim jackets, chunky sneakers, and oversized flannel shirts.
- Look for sales and discounts at your favorite stores and online shops.
- Swap clothes with your friends! What they may consider old and outdated, you may find to be a perfect fit.
- When shopping at thrift stores, be patient and take the time to explore all the racks. You never know what treasures you may find.
How To Avoid Cultural Appropriation When Shopping For 90S Fashion Pieces
When shopping for 90s fashion, it’s essential to be mindful of cultural appropriation. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Avoid wearing clothing that appropriates native american culture, such as headdresses.
- Be cautious when purchasing clothing with african american hairstyles or emblems such as do-rags or durags.
- Consider the origin and meaning of the clothing you are purchasing and research any symbols or logos you may not be familiar with.
By following these simple shopping tips, you’ll be able to rock your 90s party outfit with confidence while staying mindful and respectful of different cultures.
Frequently Asked Questions For What To Wear 90S Party?
What Are Some Iconic 90S Fashion Trends For A Party?
Trends like baggy overalls, crop tops, bucket hats, and bold plaid shirts embody ’90s fashion. Add accessories like chokers, scrunchies, hoop earrings, and platform shoes for a complete look.
Can I Wear All Black To A 90S Party?
Of course! Dark clothing was trendy in the ’90s. Spice up your look with a leather jacket, chain necklaces, and studded bracelets.
What Should I Avoid Wearing To A 90S Party?
Avoid wearing modern trends like athleisure and skinny jeans. Also, stay away from pastel colors and bright neon. Instead, embrace grunge, denim-on-denim, and eclectic prints.
What Hairstyle Should I Wear To A 90S Party?
Nostalgic hairstyles like crimped hair, messy buns with scrunchies, and high ponytails with butterfly clips are great options.
How Can I Style My Makeup For A 90S Party?
The 90s were all about bold, dark lipstick, brownish-red lipliner, and smoky eye makeup. Use shimmery blush and electric blue eyeliner for a pop of color.
The 90s fashion trend has made a strong comeback and is here to stay. It’s not just about reliving the past, but a fusion of old and new styles. A 90s party is a perfect opportunity to showcase your love for the era through fashion and style.
A mix of the funky and flamboyant with a touch of grunge can make you stand out. Experiment with bold prints, vibrant colors, oversized silhouettes, and statement accessories. Don’t be afraid to express yourself with the 90s fashion as it is all about finding your unique style.
Whether you adopt the tomboyish look or the girly diva one, just make sure that you own it. So, gear up and get ready to rock the 90s party with your killer fashion sense. Dress to impress, be confident and stay true to yourself!